Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Simple Daal Fry RCI -PUNJAB

pic source: Google search
Punjabi food! The very name brings back so many memories!!! Childhood memories, my very first introduction to 'different' food! Eating out was Idlis, Dosas for a very long time, but very slowly this new taste had me hooked! The spice, the taste and the nice way of camouflaging vegetables in a gravy that made it so delectable!! I ate vegetables that I would stubbornly push aside at home (barring the eggplant, which I still refuse to eat). Even the paratha was SO MUCH better than the usual 'poli' - the charm of eating out!!!
So far it was just Paratha and 'Green'bhaji.. (Alu Palak) and Chana Masala.. standard fare, no changes! Till one day..one day I wanted to pig out... I mean... eat Punjabi food, but had mouth ulcers (I can only say only this, in my defense...lalach bahut buri cheez hai... I ate!!) so saying no to the vegetables I opted for, what , in my opinion..then, was the boring Daal Fry. Oh Boy!!! was I wrong!!!!! and was I glad I did!!! Dunking the paratha in the daal and eating it was sooooooo nice!
That, this seemingly unobtrusive looking daal could taste so heavenly was a revelation to me! I, in fact was completely unaware of anything in the daal types, that tasted like this! Surprised? so was I... especially since I had grown up tasting only varan, amti and sambar!
Years later when I attended a cooking class, I learnt how to make Daal Fry, which ever since has regularly graced our dining table.
The first time I cooked (after marriage) at my new home, I made Daal Fry and Fulkas, and my little niece,S, liked the taste very much, I still remember her proclaiming that it was the best daal in the... Universe!!! My father (in Law) called up my parents and told them that they had not exaggerated when they said I could cook (you know how it is in the arranged marriage scenario!!!) !!! My Mother (in law) also appreciated the taste, that was a huge compliment coming from someone who is an amazing cook herself!! Do you now wonder why I love making daal fry so much!!??!!

Here's how I make it!
1 cup Moong Daal / Toor Daal*
1 tsp Ginger Chopped
1 Green Chilly (+/-to taste)
1 tsp Cilantro, finely chopped
1/2 Onion chopped
1/2 tomato chopped
5-6 coves Garlic (chopped)
1/4 tsp Cumin/ Jeera
1 pinch Red Chilly powder
1 pinch Pepper powder
2 pinches Amchur powder / lemon juice
1/4 tsp (or less) Turmeric
Salt to taste
1 tbsp Butter / oil/ ghee (traditionally, ghee is used)


There are two ways one can make this


Method 1 : The class method
Pressure cook the moong daal. Grind garlic, chillies and cumin.
To the hot daal add chopped onion, tomato and ginger.
Add salt, turmeric, red chilly powder and amchur.
Heat 1 tbsp Ghee / butter, add the paste (ginger-garlic and chillies).
Add this to the daal, mix well, cook thoroughly.Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Method 2:
Pressure cook the daal, mash and keep aside.
Heat Butter/ ghee/ oil . Add cumin seeds.
Add the ginger, garlic and saute for half a minute. Add the chilly.
Next add the onion and saute till they are light brown.
Add the tomatoes and cook till soft and mushy. I add the turmeric at this stage (no particular reason, but my logic- if you can call it that- is I cannot see the onions turn colour if turmeric is added in the initial stage).
Add the mushy daal, if it is too thick, add 1/2 a glass of water. Add the pepper pwd., red chilly pwd. , salt, amchur pwd and bring it to a rolling boil. If using lemon juice, add after switching off the stove.Garnish with cilantro and serve with plain rice / jeera rice/ roti/ paratha/ naan!



*you can use either Moong daal or Toor daal. Moong daal is lighter to digest where as Toor Daal is acidic in nature and can cause a bit of a problem.


This will go to Richa as my contribution for RCI-Punjab. Thank You Richa!!!!

Pin It

33 comments:

Lata said...

Simple and Homely, nice comfort you. I will try this next time.

FH said...

Loved the picture and description!
I agree,such few simple ingredients in Punjabi dishes unlike southie cooking and so flavorful! Feels so good to eat Palak dishes with good chunky rotis.
Dal fry looks fabulous.Thank you so much for the recipe,this is a must try.I posted some Punjabi dishes too this week!:)

Thistlemoon said...

Sounds really delicious! I loved your pst as well! I can see why you love this dish so much!

Welcome to the Foodie Blogroll!

Tee said...

Great post and as I had already said,great recipe for RCI!
Your dal fry looks mouth watering. I just love dal fry...any which way :) sometimes I also fry the onions in the tadka till they become brown and little crispy...tastes so good!!

Roopa (KitchenAromas) said...

Comfort food! In method1, do you add raw onions/tomatoes to the dal and then boil it? Very interesting, I've never tried that before

bee said...

just one word for this dish - sexy.

Suganya said...

I told ya.. I still like that last photo :)

Priyanka said...

Yumm... another mouthwatering recipe. I am drooling.....

Nupur said...

That looks like "proper" finger-lickin' dal fry all right! Got to give it a try!

Sharmi said...

hey thats a great one!! makes me feel hungry.

Cynthia said...

My mom loves dunking her paratha in dhal too!

TNL said...

Oh my, this stuff is so good~I could have this on its own....I am going to have to try out your version with moong daal....I've been using a combo of toor-chana daal so far.

Manasi said...

Hi Lata, Yep.... simple and homely.. love it!!

Hi Asha, Thanx.. and i'm sure u must've come up with some dhamaka recipe for RCI!!

Hi Jenn, Thank u so much!Glad to be a part of the foodie blogroll!

Hi Tee, Thanx dear!! And next time I'm using ur idea of fried onion!!!

Manasi said...

Hi Kitchen Aromas, Yep, add raw onions in the hot cooked daal.. I had never tried it too.. was really surprised , I usually use method 2.

Hi Bee, Thanx!!! ;)

Hi Suganya, all i can say is .. miles to go, b4 my pix are half as good as ur's!

Hi Priyanka!!! thanx sweety!!!

Manasi said...

Hi Nupur, Thank u so much!!!1

Hi Sharmi, Do try it, u will like it!

Hi Cynthia, ahh!! daal and roti! simple and yum!!!!

Hi Trupti, now i will give chana-toor dall a whirl!!! Thanx!!!!!

Coffee said...

This is finger lickingly delicious!!!! Your posts are always so nostalgic Manasi! :)

Swapna said...

Looks reaaaaaaaaallly good..

TheCooker said...

Parathas dunked in that daal. Yes!
I'm bookmarking your recipe.

Unknown said...

Loved the picture... I always make this with the combination of toor dal. Your version sounds really yummy. Thanks for sharing!!

Viji said...

A comfor food Manasi. I can just like that have a cup. Viji

Meena Shankar said...

This is simple and great as ever...but I have to try it the same way as you have mentioned...It looks so yummy!!! Got to take a printout of the recipe now:)

Anonymous said...

Dal is looking so great. Can you please give me a spoon to gulp it :)

Anonymous said...

Simple but comfort food!!!

Tee said...

Hi Manasi!
Just stopped by to tell you that i tried out your daal fry yesterday itself. After looking at the gorgeous pictures couldn't resist...and all I can say is there were no leftovers :) kadhai chatun pusun saaf jhali ;)

Manasi said...

Hi Coffee, Thank u dear... so many memories.. and linked to food!!

Hi Swapna, Tastes good too!!! very easy to fix after a hard day's work!!

Hi cooker.. yep dunked in daal... i love it!!!

Hi Cinnamon... thank U dear!!! I like toor daal, but I have acidity probs :( so I use moong daal many a times.

Hi Viji, Even i like to eat it as it is! just savouring the taste of the daal!

Hi Meena, Thanx, hope u like this version!

Hi Hima, C'mon!! u can have a bowl!!


Hi Dee... simple, wholesome and taste!!! love it!!

Hi Tee... Love u sweety!!! ~hugs~ thanx for the feedback!! itka bara vatla!!!

Richa said...

hey, daal fry looks delicious, this and jeera rice just can't be beat ;)
thanks!

Unknown said...

Emm...your recipes look delicious. I will have to try them! You have been tagged, please go to this blog for more info:
http://www.bakeyourcakeandeatittoo.blogspot.com/

Kajal said...

WOW.....great photo of Punjab Dance.....Dal looks really very yummy my dear.....Keep it up. Excellent work and something different entry.:)

Manasi said...

Hi Richa, yes.. unbeatable combo... Daal fry and Jeera rice!!!

Hi BYC&EIT, Thanx !! and i will do the Meme!!

Hi Kajal, Thanx dear!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Manasi,

Tried ur recipe. Tasted great. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Manasi,
I loved this dal very much....it tasted so much like dhabewali dal. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Shella said...

Daal is an incredible food for all times. You love it in anyways. Your recipe is simple & yummy.

Anonymous said...

hi i tried ur daal fry and it was too yummy........

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape