Thursday, April 22, 2010

Punjabi Kadhi (Pakode Wali Kadhi)

Of late I have been using the laptop VERY sparingly. Things were going crazy around me. Though a  most useful thing to have around, the laptop is the worst addiction. I would 'just peek' and stay stuck, slowly my son also started demanding laptop and to own the truth, I let him. 
He was at that stage where intense curiosity was getting in the way of everything I was doing, cooking, cleaning, using the bathroom, going from one room to another and sometimes he would hurt himself, specially when I was mopping the floor, he'd run on it and slip. And so, one day, I put him in the high chair and played some songs, he liked those and very soon that became my passport. His lunch would go down easier. I could finish my chores without worrying. what I did not realize was, he was getting addicted. There came a day when he did not let me touch the laptop for anything except the songs he liked, he  kept himself awake till midnight, just watching those songs and that day I had it! The next day, before he was up, I bundled the laptop in the small closet upstairs and it has been here since then. I check whatever I want to occasionally (hiding in the closet)  and thankfully, my son has forgotten all about it! A classic case of  out of sight and out of mind!  I am over  my 'addiction' too. Though I do miss reading all my favorite blogs and  do not reply to my mail or orkut scraps, I am glad we are 'safe'!
A few weeks ago I borrowed 1000 Indian Recipes and spent many hours going through the recipes. I finally picked out Punjabi Pakode wali Kadhi  and tried it.
Now, you'd think I'd try something more novel with a 1000 recipes, but  I have a special weakness for yogurt  curries as well as a sentimental value and Punjabi Kadhi is a favorite!  Every time I traveled to Delhi, I'd call and let them know that I wanted Kadhi-chawal for lunch. Lots of it. 
Back home, I could never re-create the taste, never. But then, I wasn't  much into cooking and the source of the recipe was Lisa, who I can safely say, at that stage, about 6 years ago, could easily burn water.
I tried making Punjabi Kadhi a few times, but it was never quite like I wanted it. 
Then I chanced upon this book and  I really liked the recipe. There are some recipes, which upon reading  sound like they are 'just' what you wanted and to me his was one of those! 
Moreover, the author mentions that this is her Mother's version and is favored by her children over her version of kadhi! Mother always knows best?? Try this recipe and judge for yourself! 

Pakoda ( Fritters):
Makes  25-30 pieces
1/2 cup Besan (chickpea flour)
1 small Onion chopped
1 small Potato, peeled and grated
1/2 cup Chopped Cilantro
1 Tbs finely chopped or grated Ginger
2 tsp coarsely crushed Coriander seeds
1 tsp Kasuri Methi
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp ground Ajwain / Bishops weed
1/4 tsp Baking soda
2-3 Tbs Water
Oil to deep fry

Sift flour in a medium bowl and mix onion, potato, ginger, coriander, fenugreek, cumin, ajwain, soda and salt

Add water as needed to make a  thick batter

Deep fry the pakoras in oil ( carefully drop a spoonful of batter in hot oil)

Remove on to a tissue and keep aside

For the KADHI:
3 cups Plain Yogurt
3 cups Water
1/4 cup Besan
1-2 Fresh Green chiles (+/- to taste)
1 medium Garlic Clove
10-15 Fresh Curry Leaves
11/2 Tbs Ground Coriander
1/4  tsp Fenugreek seeds coarsely crushed ( I left them whole)
1/8 tsp Asafetida
1/4 tsp Turmeric
3/4 tsp Salt
3Tbs Oil
1/4 cup Minced Onion
2 Tbs Minced Fresh Ginger
11/2 Tbs Coriander seeds, coarsely crushed
1 tsp Kasuri Methi 
4- 6 Dry Red Chiles
1 tsp Cumin seeds
1/4 tsp Ground Paprika 
Chopped Cilantro

In a blender, blend together yogurt, water, besan, green chile and garlic until smooth and well mixed

Transfer to a bowl and mix in the coriander, turmeric and salt

Heat 11/2 T Oil in a large non-stick wok over med- high heat and cook ginger and onion till ginger turns golden brown

Add the coriander, fenugreek seeds  and asafetida and stir momentarily. 

Slowly add the yogurt mixture, stirring continuously and continue to stir  until it comes to a boil (reduce heat if it starts to boil over)

Reduce heat (med-low) and simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally and watching carefully until sauce is smooth and traces of oil are visible on top and sides (30-35 mins)

Add kasuri methi and pakoras and simmer another 3-5 mins allowing pakoras to absorb the flavor
Garnish with chopped cilantro, cover and keep warm

heat remaining 11/2 Tbs Oil on a small pan on med- high heat and add the red chiles and cook till they  turn reddish-brown. Remove from heat and add cumin seeds (they will sizzle on contact). Quickly add paprika and pour over kadhi and mix VERY SLIGHTLY ( use a fork)  so that some seasoning/ tadka shows on top

Serve hot  with plain steamed rice or Jeera Rice.
Pin It

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Gorgeous recipe, great cookbook (1000 Indian recipes) and I am glad you have been drastic with the laptop! Best wishes!

sayantani said...

I learnt a lesson from your post today. the same thing am doing to my son these days but now I got to understand how addicting it could be. better I find some other way to keep him busy.
the kadhi looks tempting and love the way you have added extra tadka on the top. perfect dish for these hot months.

Kanchan said...

Wonderful Click !

Adding Kasuri methi to Kadhi is new to me, adn also never added potatos in pakodas for kadhi. will give these try sometime.

Finla said...

Wow they looks so so delicous, and the pic tself looks so so droolie.
You son seems to like music , and lucky you, you can put the music and do the chores :-)

Rajee Mani said...

Lovely kadhi. I try this often at restaurants but never made it at home. Looks very good.

Hari Chandana P said...

Wowwww... nice recipe.. looks soo yumm... awesome click!!

chakhlere said...

Love this Kadhi so much...its been ages I had this...you mad me crave it.

Yummy!!

Veggie Belly said...

a computer (with internet) is a horrible addiction! but im glad you blogged this..one of my favorite dishes ever!

Anonymous said...

i enjoyed your recipe

AJ said...

Delish!! Kadhi with pakoras is a big favourite in our home!!

Kalai said...

Lesson Learnt! And the curry definitely looks very fabulous - never tried this before, and I would love to try this one soon!

Manasi said...

Thank U Joy! I am glad I took the drastic step and happier that it worked.

Thank U Sayantini, I made a mistake with the laptop , moderation is the key.

Thank U Kanchan, do try this and let me know how u like it.

Hi HC, Thank u, the kadhi is yum!

Thank U Rajee, do try it at home, time consuming, but SO worth it!

Thank U Hari Chandana!

Thank U Roopali. If u were near me, I'd bring a big bowl over.

Thank U Sala!

Thank U Anon.

Thank U Apu

Thank U Kalai, hope u try and like this version.

Cooking My Way said...

Your Kadhi looks really good! Never tried pakoras with grated potatoes. Sounds interesting. Must give it a try.

FH said...

Haha!! I remember those days!! Couldn't go to the bathroom unless Trisha was strapped to baby car seat and right infront me when I was inthe shower or toilet!! Believe me, raising kids is so much stress. For a year, I had a new born and a 4 year old both at home with me and I was essentially a single parent!!
But now I cherish those memories although at that time, it wasn't much fun not having a soul to help me out. Enjoy your baby!:)

Looks delicious. I was thinking of Kadhi Pakodi for a long time now, must make it. Frying Pakodis gets me, it's so hot here. Usually I fry out on the deck to avoid the AROMA clinging everywhere! :D
Good to be back. Still chaos at home but nice to smile reading the posts like this.

FH said...

BTW, Happy Mother's day, make it very special (hubby should, ie!!! :))

Srivalli said...

Yummy your kadhi makes me want to reach out manasi..

accidental diva said...

hi manasi,I have been reading you blog for quite sometime..awesome recipes.
my hubby loves punjabi kadhi..will surely try it this week.:):)
continue the good work.
-dee

Sayali said...

Kadhi pakoda has always been my favorite..but i havn;t made it myself :)...Great to know you have the recipe

Vasavi Suresh said...

Delicious recipe.. Yummy and tempting pic..

Unknown said...

Colorful yummy kadhi....havent tasted it yet though....very tempting click!

PranisKitchen said...

kadhi looks so delicious..lovley pic too

PreeOccupied said...

I havent seen a more "beautiful" Punjabi Kadhi than this. You have just nailed it.

laura said...

Excellent, I was in hunt for a good kadi recipe and I think I will be making it this weekend, let you know soon.

I always love steaming hot kadi and steaming hot white rice together. But have not made it together like this. And I'll be making this soon now.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape