Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012, Hello 2013!

2012 was such a roller coaster ride. up and down, round and round..... When did it start? And now, it's ending.
So many things happened, as they always do, no doubt, in every body's life and we (my little family) are no exceptions.

I have lost my patience many more times than I care to remember. I feel ashamed.

I have cried, as though my heart was broken, indeed, it felt like that, I survived.

I laughed, loudly, I cherish those moments.

I made new friends, strengthened the bond of an acquaintance to a strong and reliable friendship.

I missed my parents, so much that I started imagining them with me in my home or riding the car with me... I was lonely.

I watched my son grow taller, I felt proud yet sad, he is no longer the infant I held in my arms, soft as butter, no longer the toddler, who ran round the apartment in his diaper squealing with joy and avoiding all attempts at putting him into a pair of tracks. 

I watched him climb into the school bus, his face aglow with happiness at getting to ride the great big yellow school bus! I missed putting him in the car seat and strapping him in and kissing him before I got into the drivers seat. I sighed! 

I watched Father and Son playing games and felt like a complete family, even if it was the weekend. I wished for better and I got my wish. 

After 41/2 long years, we are a full-time family, once more. M got a local job and what was a dream is now reality. Talking, watching movies, going out for a coffee, just because we want to, in the middle of the week was something we wished for, simple pleasures, which are so easily taken for granted! My son now understands that 'office' means  his father goes in the morning and returns in the evening as opposed to going on either Sunday or Monday and returning on Thursday night as we had led him to believe.

This year, after a long wait, I finally managed to enroll myself for Wilton Cake Decorating classes! I wanted to try my hand at something crafty ( since I am a bit handicapped in this department, cannot draw a straight line!) and see if  could, you know, learn. 

Here are some pictures of the cakes I decorated.

This was my first cake. I tried out all the techniques and tips I had used in the first 3 lessons (each course/ level has 4 classes, you make a cake and decorate it in the last class)

Some of the cupcakes I decorated in the first course. The icing is Butter cream Frosting, using the Wilton prescribed measurements.


Course 2 was even more fun! We were learning to make delicate little flowers using Royal Icing. I am not a crafty person and have never been able to do the simplest things, I honestly *never* imagined making flowers and decorating cakes! But here I was, learning! I was so happy! 

 We also learned the Basket Weave, which is not very difficult, but I  need practice and patience! 



And then , before I knew it, I had signed up for course 3! I was so eager to learn more!
4 weeks went by in  a flash and here I was, learning to make calla lillies, and mums, and roses and daisies! oh what a thrill! 
I wanted to do a little something more to this cake, but I ran out of time in the class. When I decided to finish it at home, my son was a little too eager to help and so I decided to leave things as they were, at least until I had taken pictures ( and then my friends came over and we cut the cake and ate it, so there you are! )


The Cake is Classic yellow cake (box mix), I made 2- 8 inch cakes and a filling of whipped cream and added pineapple chunks in the middle.
The frosting was Cheesecake flavor. I used store bought Fondant , tinted it with neon green (  just a few drops to get a light color) and the border in neon blue.
The daisies are made of Gum Paste.



I am now looking forward to the last course.

My cup runneth over! 





Wishing all my dear readers a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year! May all your dreams come true! 
Pin It

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy new Year Manasi. The year swifts by before you actually get the hang of it. I always feel it when the year ends, time they say waits for no one, even god himself. But To use the time we have is more fruitful. I am very happy that after all these years, Daddy has taken a local job and comes home for dinner, kids thrive and grow on small joys.
The cakes looks divine and very clean work. Loved your color choices and the whole efforts for the cakes. They are a a lot of work and they teach you to be patient, to try again if you fail and keep spreading the joys around.
Love Ash.

divya said...

looks awesome...Wishing you & family a very Happy New Year !!

Anonymous said...

A very happy new year to you all...Cakes are just awesome and looking at the icing designs we can very well say that u really r a crafty person- those talents hidden somewhere inside....
I hope to get some inspiration from you to get into trying new things for new year...
Thanks for the wonderful recipes that you have shared...I recently tried Sabudhana thAleepeet andit came out so well and very very tasty...
-Meena

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

looks lovely...delicious recipe
Tasty Appetite

Cham said...

Wishing You and Your family a Happy New Year! The icing and flowers are very pretty , That is a work of art!

Priya Suresh said...

Happy new year wishes to you and your family. Mindblowing beauties.

Anonymous said...

Wish you and yours a very Happy New Year! The cakes look lovely, I think you did a splendid job. I can't wait to see how how you decorate your son's birthday cake. I am so excited for you!

I am going to make your Methi Parathas for the nth time tomorrow. We love the addition of finely chopped onion. Thanks for the terrific recipe!

- Priti

Sharmi said...

Such pretty looking cakes, I too feel I should learn something like this! this year I thought I will blog regularly:) I am not able to do so because I joined Aerobics;)
Wish you all a very happy New Year!

Uj said...

Aww...Lovely cakes...I wish god had given me some creativity too.. I always joke saying that when god was distributing these senses (when it comes to stitching or decorating) I was in last one in line chatting ;)Gosh! I admire these cakes.. I am so looking forward to take up these courses! Wishing you a very happy and fun filled year

HB said...

A massive good luck to you in the new year! Those cakes look wonderful.

All the best, Hamilton x

Shella said...

Hey Manasi. Love the way your blogs looking. Am back after along times am blog hopping. Beautiful cakes.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape