Friday, June 08, 2007

Ratalyacha Kees

In continuance to my last post on RCI Maharashtra, where I mentioned about 'ratlyacha kees', which is another 'fasting' food that is made in the Maharashtrian homes. Variety is the spice of life.. wonder who coined that term, might have been a Maharashtrian ....

See why we love fasting? The sheer variety of food!

Along with the Sabudana Khichadi, one also takes a bit of 'kees' on the side. What do we mean by kees? In simple terms. One cleans the Ratala (sweet potato / yam, as it is called here) and grates it, thereby giving the arms a good bit of exercise. This is then seasoned and cooked with simple spices (no onion-garlic please!) to a wonderful dish!
Here's how you make it
1 big Yam ( I got one that was the size of a normal coconut!!)
1/2 cup of roasted peanuts, powdered
1 Serrano chilly
2-3 tbsp. Ghee
1 tsp. Cumin seeds
1 tbsp Sugar (more , if u like a sweetish taste)
Salt to taste
Cilantro to Garnish

Wash the yam clean, dry it and grate it. Finely chop the chilly or, grind the chilly and the cumin seeds together.

Heat Ghee in a wok/ kadhai. Add the chilly-cumin Add the grated yam. Cover and cook till soft.

Add the ground peanut powder, salt sugar, mix thoroughly. Cover and cook for another 3-4 mins.

Garnish with cilantro and serve.

Pin It

12 comments:

Swapna said...

Dandaneet dish aahe..Mazi fav..Dhanyavaad:)

Anonymous said...

I used to always look at these yams and think "What in the world can I cook with these?" and you gave me a pretty good recipe to try out. Thanks!

~Bianca

TNL said...

hahha...do NOT get me started on this "fasting" issue. No, theres nothing wrong in fasting provided one does it in a simple way, that is consuming only fruits and milk or just one "farali" or "vrat" item....but I draw the line when, say, a person "fasts" and then cooks up 6-7 different items to break the fast.

Your ratalyacha kees is wonderful...fasting or not.

:)
trupti

TheCooker said...

Oopasache padartha rock!
Khichadi saathi oopas: have you done that? :)

Manasi said...

Hi Swapna!! Mala pan khup avadta!! sahi asta na, ekdum!!

Hi Bianca!! Thanx! Do try this ... and u cam make candied yams too.

Hi Trupti!! As I would say..'ekadashi.. duppat khasi!!' (duppat= twice the usual, khasi= consuming/ eating)

Hi Cooker (I love that name!!), heheheehe! khichadi sathi upas, I have done that! that's how I started!!!

FH said...

Nice goodies for fasting!!! I will start fasting too!!Looks great Manasi:)

Coffee said...

Fasting usually become feasting!!!!! :)

What a coincidence there...... I made ratala today for lunch. :) Loved your version of grating anf mixing with peanuts. :)

Anonymous said...

wow...not sure when I last tasted Yam...great recipe...have to try it...thanks for sharing

Sharmi said...

the grated version of yam looks very beautiful. why add sugar when the yam itself is very sweet? may be its Maharashtrian style right? very lovely looking dish for RCI.

Viji said...

Yam in any form is my favorite. Will try this sometime Manasi. Viji

Nupur said...

I confess that I'm too lazy to grate this by hand...started making this dish more only when I obtained a food processor :)
Thanks for another delicious entry!

Priyanka said...

oh wow!!! its been ages since i had ratalyache kees. on fasting days at my home, nobody fasts ....:)because of these mouthwatering dishes. nice entry.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape