Monday, June 25, 2007

WBB- Spice it up!!!!

Spicing up Breakfast!!!! Hmmm.... How? seemed impossible ... (that's the pessimist in me!) Then I was reminded of Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass......(now the optimist in me is rearing up it's head!!!) These words came sliding back to my mind, Alice laughed. 'There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' 'I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. 'When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why,sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast...' .... There you are!! that's the way to think!!!
Stressing myself then like the Queen in the story, I came up with an easy yet tasty and a dish that is going in as my entry for WBB-Spice it up!! hosted by Trupti.

When it comes to breakfast, I am a regular... I need my breakfast, not so with the husband.. in the initial stages of marriage, I would coax him, flutter my eyelashes... after a while that stopped working , so it came to putting on a hurt look and the sad drooping of the mouth.. but now, the best part... I make yummy stuff, and I can still hear him in the background.."na , na... no breakfast for me, you have it... I am not a b'fast person.... yada..yada..." I simply nod in his direction... go on with my work.. tastefully arrange the food on a plate, and with a twinkle in my eyes, plonk right next to him and eat.. slowly, savouring every bite... ummm!!! All you intelligent people can guess what happens after a tantalising smell wafts to his nose and the sight of me enjoying something so well!

Slowly... he says" what.. do you have here?" (still feigning disinterest)
"dufssast", I utter, with my mouth full (I know Mom says its bad manners, par kya karen? control nahi hota!)
"What?"
"You wamt?"
"Hmmmm.???"
"Twy..."
"ok.. .."So here is M's breakfast, spiced up !!

Here's how I made it!
Pre requisite to making this .... the pan, in India we call it 'appey patra' here you will get it labeled under 'aebleskiver pan' (which I came to know after I read this post ) What you need ,once you have the pan...

1 cup Aunt Jemima Pancake mix
3/4 cup Water
1/2 Onion, finely chopped
1-2 Green Chillies Finely chopped (+/- to taste)
2-3 tbsp. Cilantro finely chopped
Salt to taste
Oil Spray/ Oil/ Butter

Mix all the ingrdients from Pancake mix to salt. Heat the pan on a medium flame. Spray with oil or pour a few drops of oil / butter, into each mould. Add a spoonful (do not fill to the brim) of the batter into each mould. After a few minutes(I did not time this, I just hovered over the pan), flip on the other side and cook till it is a lovely golden brown too. Serve hot.
I also made red bell pepper chutney from Mahanandi ... which I must say, is AWESOME!!!!

These should be eaten immediately.

Thank You Trupti, for hosting this event!! Looking forward to all spicy entries!!

Pin It

15 comments:

TNL said...

Oh wow...I do like the idea of using pancake mix in this....!!
thanks Manasi!

trupti

Mishmash ! said...

I liked the idea of using pancake mix and feel like making too....but i dont have this pan :(

Shn

Anonymous said...

My aunt makes them frequently with Idli batter. Those are looking great.

Viji said...

A creative thinking to use pancake mix Manasi. Looks puffy and nice. Viji

Roopa said...

wow great idea of using pan cake mix. i do it with iddli dosa batter.

Raaga said...

First Nupur and now you... I want my appey now.

Manasi said...

Hi Trupti!! Yep, tastes good too, just that it has to consumed immediately.

Hi Shn, I saw this pan on 'live to cook's blog, till then I was not aware of it either... and it is available on line @ target.

Hi Hima, I make them with left over idli/ dosa batter too!

Hi Viji,pancake mix works well , but best eaten immediately!

Hi Roopa, give pancake mix a try!!!

Hi Raaga! Come on over, I'll have them ready in a jiffy for u!!

DEEPA said...

i too have the same pan with me ...i mostly use pan cake mix ...comes out to be great and yummy

ss said...

I now have another use for my abelskver pan which so far has only been used to make cheese or jam type pancakes. thanks for the inspiration!

Manasi said...

Hi Deepa.. hey.. gr8! even u use it!!

Hi Situ, Thank u so much dear!! hope u like my version!!!! lemme know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

Where would I get the pancake mix that you said?.

A Cook @ Heart said...

Anon: The pancake mix is readily availble in all stores Albertsons, Kroger, Vons, Trader Joe) U can also make ur own mix, chk the link I am giving:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/1336/perfect-pancake.html

Prachi said...

Hey Pallavi,

This was a great idea.. i made pancakes but the spicy ones using above recepie. It was a fantastic quick dinner.

Thanks,
Prachi

Anonymous said...

I love this dish but never tried it before. Will try it now. Thanks for sharing....

Anonymous said...

I love this dish but never tried it before. Will try it now. Thanks for sharing....

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape