Saturday, April 14, 2007

L is for Lal Bhoplya chi Bhaji



The everyday pumpkin is Lal Bhopla in Marathi. This is my entry for Nupur's A-Z of Vegetables....
All thru my childhood I associated 'bhopla' with a zero (that I used to get in my math paper!) my Father would count, re-count the marks and send a prayer upward for the unseen hand which guided me to passing marks , I would count the 'bhoplas' and grin impishly (and shamelessly)!
As for eating pumpkin vegetable, I did not mind it... though not a particular favourite of mine. My Mother made it with a sweet-sour tamarind jagery gravy and peanut powder. I used to call it 'Upvasachi bhaji' (vegetable consumed during a Fast).
Then came a delightful version of Gharge, which satisfied my sweet tooth and my respect for this bland vegetable went up.
Today I am trying out another version, taken from Lokpriya

1/4 kg Red pumpkin
1 tablespoon Grated coconut
2 Red chillies
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric
1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek seeds
1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
1 pinch Asafoetida
2 tablespoons Grated jaggery
1 tablespoon Oil
Salt (As per taste)
1/4 tsp Cumin - I added this
Method

Chop the pumpkin into 2 inch cubes.Heat oil in a deep bottomed pan and add mustard seed, red chillies, turmeric and asafoetida. When the mustard seeds start crackling add the fenugreek seeds. Fry for 1-2 seconds.
Add the chopped pumpkin and saute for 2-3 minutes. Cover and cook for another 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour 1/2 cup of water on top of the lid, this enhances steaming. Add water into the pan only if required.When the pumpkin is half-cooked, add the jaggery and stir well and cook covered till it is thoroughly cooked. Add the coconut and simmer for 2 minutes.Serve hot with rotis.
Verdict: Simple and Tasty! I was a bit apprehensive as there are no spices (lesson learnt... spices are not always necessary!), but the methi (fenugreek seeds) and jaggery are sufficient.
Pin It

12 comments:

Coffee said...

Beautiful!!!!!

Lal bhoplya chi bhaji khoopach chaan diste ;)

Swapna said...

I think u r lying when u say you used to get "Bhoplas" in ur Maths paper:)
I love this veggie..Do u make Bhoplyacha Bharit? That is another wonderful dish..

TNL said...

Hahaha....Bhoplas are all I got in Math too...

really simple recipe, Manasi. A nice addition to everyday meals..

trupti

Manasi said...

Hi Coffee...thanx... hi bhaji kharach chan lagte! :D

Hi Swapna, Wish I was lying, but it is true, I was HOPELESS @ math.. I hated it! I somehow managed to clear my SSC... I do make bharit too... it is yummy!

Hi Trupti, Someone like me! I hated math! This recipe is simple and quick! Plus I like the slightly sweet taste!

Anonymous said...

manasi, can i see a math bhopla ki bhaji:)).

simple recipe and looks good.

Sia said...

not me mansi... i loved n love maths;) so u can come over for maths tution to my place anytime sweetie;) he he..
jokes part, this looks like palya we make back at home. we dont add any spices there. just the seasoning gives all the flavour required(we dont add methi though)
what is that sweet and sour recipe of pumpkin ur ma makes? do post that recipe sometime:)

Anonymous said...

Nice recipe , Manasi!Pretty simple too.... will try it out soon. Just wanted to let you know... the take your pick link on the side does not seem to be working.. I noticed it when I tried to look-up one of your older recipes.
MK

Anonymous said...

That looks very tempting dear. I make a similar bhaji, but I will try your version today. I have a pumpkin sitting in my refrigerator begging to be used :).

HAREKRISHNAJI said...

one can add crushed groundnuts to enhance taste

Manasi said...

Hi Reena... thanx and as for the math bhaji.. well, I kinda chucked it! cud not digest math!hahahah!!;)

Hi MK, Thans, and yes something seems to be the matter with the dropdown, I will try to chk it out over the weekend.

Hi Shilpa, thanx a Lot!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Thanks Manasi,
Tastes really great and simple, I kinda like simple food so this is my type :).

Anu said...

hi!!! found this recipe while looking for bhopla bhaji...n I am real happy with the result! just replaced the fenugreek seeds with kasuri methi in a packet - more easily available here!!
Thanks!

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape