Thursday, March 10, 2011

A simple Vanilla cake using Oil

How often have you seen a child straining at his/ her Mother's hand and demanding something .. anything? 
How often have you done that as a  child? I know I have. Almost every time I stepped  out of the house with my parents, something fancy (IMHO) and utterly useless ( in my parents opinion) would engage me, so much so , that I'd refuse to budge without claiming it as my own. I was around 3 or 4 years old then.
Shortly after our  home started bearing a very strong resemblance to a toy store, my parents took to warning me at the first sight of a demand rearing it's greedy head, " Asa vaglis tar police kaka dumm bhartil, oradtil  tula... chalel ka?" ( meaning: If you behave like this, that policeman will take you to task, do you want that?)

For some time, I was down ( but not out, oh no, no.... definitely not out! ). I would meekly walk on, after putting  my soul into my eyes and looking with undisguised longing at a toy and then very meaningfully at my Mother or Father. They remained unmoved and the 'police kaka' remained in his 'chowki' and peace in my parents hearts and minds and purses.


Until one day, I could no longer bear it, I saw one particular toy I wanted needed, it felt like my existence depended on it ( yeah, right!) Necessity like this makes heroes out of the meekest, and so when I began asking for the toy, my Mother simply pointed to the policeman sitting in his booth ( this booth was in  the apartment community we lived and  most of the time, the cops would sit idle), the policeman had nothing to do and so  looked at me  and wiggled his bushy eyebrows and  and said," aaann?" That was it, the last straw on the proverbial camel's back, I looked at my Mom and  then defiantly at the cop , and mustering all the courage a 3 or 4 year old could, told him , "aaaap"  and brought a trembling finger to my pursed lips, indicating that he put a lid on it.
The cop was shocked into silence and my Mother, thoroughly embarrassed and wanting a quick exit, bought me the toy and I beamed at the world with the trophy in my hand.


Now, why am I relating all this here? Because I occasionally adopt the age old technique of 'police kaka' with my son. He is yet to assert himself with one, but something  happened the other day. 
It was a beautiful day, cool crisp breeze , not really sunny, but not cloudy either, you know what I mean... in short a perfect day for a walk after the bad weather.Little S and I went out  for a small walk. The pattern is, I walk, he skips or jumps ahead of me, looking back every few steps just to make sure I am there and also sometimes seeking non-verbal reassurance that he is allowed to skip or run as long as he sticks to the side walk. 
On this particular afternoon, we were sauntering at our own pace and suddenly he stopped in his tracks and waited for me to catch up, there was a police car parked in front of one building. In a hushed tone he told me , "poos"(his word for police). His eyes wide, he glanced up at me, I smiled and affirmed that this was a 'poos car'. I looked at the car and at that precise moment I felt his tiny warm hand slip into mine. I clasped it lovingly and firmly and fell in step with him.  Reassured that  no one, not even a 'poos' can harm him when he is with Mommy, my little boy skipped , holding  onto my hand and a triumphant smile on his lips. 

Later, as he slept, I stole a kiss and decided to bake  him a cake, for his unconditional love and trust in me, for holding my hand and touching my heart .


Source: Kaboose
Makes Two 9-inch (23-cm) round layers or one 9- x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) rectangular cake.

  • 2 cups (500 mL) sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2-1/2 cups (625 mL) all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup (250 mL) milk
  • 3/4 cup (175 mL) vegetable oil
  • 2-1/4 teaspoons (11 mL) baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla

Cooking Instructions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Line two 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans or one 9x13-inch (23 x 33 cm) rectangular baking pan with parchment paper. Grease the paper and the sides of the pan well.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, with an electric mixer, beat sugar and eggs together until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Add flour, milk, oil, baking powder, and vanilla and beat for another minute, just until the batter is smooth and creamy. Don't over beat. Pour batter into the prepared baking pan(s).
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the tops are golden and a toothpick poked into the center of the layer comes out clean. (A single rectangular pan will take longer to bake than two round ones.) Loosen the sides of the cake from the pan with a thin knife, then turn out onto a rack and peel off the paper. Let cool completely before covering with frosting, if desired.
Verdict:   
YUMMY CAKE! in Little S's words. 
This was the first time I had baked a cake with no butter, instead using oil. I was nervous, I am no baker, but this cake is really very simple and easy to make and very light and tasty. It is sweet, but not overly so, just the right amount of sugar. 
The only thing that did not stick to the recipe was the baking time indicated. My cake required about an hour, but this could be  my oven, so if you do try this, check the cake at the 30-40 minute mark.
Pin It

50 comments:

Reshmi Mahesh said...

This looks soft and fluffy...I too have this cake with oil in my space...

FunWidFud

Swathi said...

Nice writeup and cake looks so moist and delicious.

Priya Suresh said...

Soft and spongy vanilla cake looks absolutely marvellous..

Hamaree Rasoi said...

Cake looks so yummy,soft and moist. No doubt your son would have craved for it as soon as he waked up.

Deepa
Hamaree Rasoi

Cham said...

This cake is definitely a lighter version, my son is 9 years old when he heard "police" he froze. Nice write up!

Hari Chandana P said...

Wowww.. looks so soft and delicious .. awesome job dear !!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Great story!

That cake looks so soft and delicious

Cheers,

Rosa

Vaishali said...

:) Manasi, I had a good laugh at the picture of a tiny you glaring at the big old policeman! You and your son sound precious together.
I love using oil in cakes instead of butter-- I think it makes a moister cake. Your vanilla cake looks gorgeous.

aipi said...

I laughed so hard when I read this because my 3 year old is terrified of cops and i am beginning to use it to keep her straight as well..lol..
A very cute write up!
Your cake looks FAB ! I too always prefer to bake with oil and yes it makes the cake the soft n moist while cutting some of the butter calories.

US Masala

Usha said...

Awww that is such a lovely story!

The cake looks soft, spongy and just perfect :-)

Kankana said...

This is how my mom likes to bake cake .. simple vanilla cake .. delicious!

Nupur said...

Now that's a gorgeous sponge cake! I was one of those weird kids who never once asked for anything- my mother thought it was most abnormal. At least ask me for a balloon, just once, she would say :D

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

cake looks amazing..mouthwatering n delicious...first time here..u hv a lovely space..
visit mine as time permits..
sanyukta
http://creativesanyukta.blogspot.com/

Vijitha said...

The picture says it all - soft and moist

Valar Siva said...

Wow looks yummy!!!

Do visit me @
http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

Aruna Manikandan said...

First time here....

U have a wonderful space with delicious recipes, glad to follow u

cake looks awesome - soft and delicious

Nice clicks.

check my space when u find time :)

Jayanthy Kumaran said...

very nice, innovative n inviting recipe...
first time here...awesome space you have with lovely collection of recipes..
happy to follow u...
do stop by mine sometime..:)

Sharmi said...

so cute of lil "S":))
My kids don't get scared of anything:(
lovely looking cake!Kids verdict are the toughest but when positive makes us so happy:)

Uj said...

Policeman trick works really well with kids.. Poor little S.. Lovely cake..

lubnakarim06 said...

Being a kid is such a lovely time in life.....all smiles to two of you....cake looks extremely yum.....so soft....

Nandinis food said...

The cake looks very soft and spongy! Nice writeup!

Cynthia said...

Awwww, you are such a great mom.

Anonymous said...

I made this cake yesterday and added ghirardelli chocolate chips plus a little almond extract. AWESOME!!! I used one layer in a banana pudding trifle with honey caramel sauce...it was delicious! Light and fluffy and soaked up all the goodness of the caramel and pudding without turning to mush! Thank you!!!

Caramel Wings said...

Lovely recipe. Tried it out today, and it was nothing short of spectacular. I halved the recipe to make one bundt cake, and drizzled the top with some belgian chocolate before popping it int he oven for a marble effect. I personally am a sucker for anything that uses oil instead of butter in baking. Kudos!

Seema said...

so fresh and tempting...love it

Anzz said...

Lovely write. So simple yet so touching. :) Loved the cake..!

Recipe World said...

Looks extremely soft and would love to have it & i love to read your post.. :)

Katie said...

I made this today and am in love! It's so incredibly easy, has a beautiful crumb and is delicious. I added an additional teaspoon of vanilla bean paste to give it that extra flavor and it's so good! Thanks so much for sharing!

Unknown said...

i use the recipe all the time add 3 tsp of vanilla instead and i use aboout 2cups of oil, it comes out aaammaaaazinng,, secret to every moist cake,, more oil!!!!

Nivedita said...

Tried this cake today. It was super soft with a nice browned crust and very tasty! This is my first attempt at baking. Thank you so much for this lovely recipe and the photograph(which is what caught my attention in the first place)

Anonymous said...

Got this in the oven now... Used 3/4 the amount of sugar as I'm serving with raspberry jam and sweet vanilla cream... Mixture tasted awesome!!!! Can't wait to try it!! Thanks xxx

radha said...

This cake was lovely. Thank you !

Anonymous said...

It's New Year's day here in England and I have just made your amazing cake....it is simply divine. What a way to begin the new year, thank you!

Anonymous said...

I baked this cake for my family and we LOVED it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Baking this cake for the SECOND time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This time I added lemon juice and lemon zest! It's in the oven now......gonna frost it with lemon whipped cream icing!!! Can't wait!!!!

Unknown said...

Its is a perfect cake receipe

Anonymous said...

i made this cake with almond extract , and made a rainbow cake , and it is ammmaazziinnggg wow

Anonymous said...

Made this tonight, added orange zest and orange juice. Amazing!! Best oil cake recipe Ive found so far.

Anonymous said...

I am from the southern U.S. I plan to try this as a pineapple upside down cake.... you put brown sugar, drained canned pineapple and butter in the botton of the pan and melt it a bit.. then put your cake batter on top of the melted pineapple mixture... and bake as usual.

Unknown said...

I made it the other night and brought them to work in the morning. It was all gone by 10 a.m.

Unknown said...

Great recipe...I made 1kg cake and it came out so well.Its my son's birthday great surprise for him.Awesome cake really Loved it.Thanks for the great recipe.

Unknown said...

Best most versatile cake ever! I use buttermilk and a tbsp of vanilla. Makes a great base cake for other flavors as well, such as almond, lemon etc. thank you for sharing!!❤️

madmaxjess said...

Frustrating as hell that I cannot even COPY AN PASTE!!!! pitiful.... not gonna have this in my kitchen when I'm trying to bake it, I'll just use pencil and paper.. o and by the way it's wAAAAy too much sugar.... gonna get diabetes

Manasi said...

That is the point, Roberta : no copying. With images copied without permission, it is a precaution bloggers are forced to take.
I understand your concern about too much sugar (contrary to all feedback I have received so far of this being a subtly sweet cake), so you can try other resources or sites as well.

Unknown said...

I disagree. Every cake recipe I use, uses between 1 1/2-2 cups of sugar. This recipe is THE BEST by far! It is my base for most of my cakes. Lemon, strawberry, coconut, almond to name some. I'm so happy I found it! All my customers love it! Works great as cupcakes too������

Unknown said...

Can I add only 3 eggs?? Or will it effect in anyway?

Manasi said...

I have never tried with 3 eggs,I'm sorry, I cannot say.

Unknown said...

Best recipe ever 😍. always a hit

Anonymous said...

Made this recipe today after MANY attempts at an oil based vanilla cake and I am SO happy this turned out exactly how I wanted it.
I have been using betty Crocker cake mixes for such a long time that I wanted to make something from scratch which tasted the same. However, I failed countless times until I made this cake.
I never usually leave comments but it was so good I had to! Thank you so much for posting this

Unknown said...

Can we make this in pressure cooker?

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape