Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sabudana Wada (and Mango smoothie)

What tastes good on a winter afternoon? (Ok, so it is not 'so ' cold here)... but late afternoons can turn real cosy if you have a plate of hot sabudana wadas and friends to share them with!
Typically eaten when fasting, this snack is otherwise also widely popular.But then, most deep fried snacks are! Practically everything tastes good when deep fried! It's just the calories that one thinks of ... later (or atleast in my case)!!!

Lately, I and my friends have formed this habit of ganging up at one apartment and spending time .. talking... gossiping, exchanging views about our whimsical partners!.. it starts with one topic and goes in all possible directions till one common topic, snacks , unites us again.
Now, my dear friend S, mentioned one afternoon how much she liked Sabudana Wada... and ofcourse I wanted to make some for her... this snack being my fav too. So yesterday afternoon I made wadas... This one is for you, S!!

Once again I have approximates... 'nazar ka andaaz'.... no fixed measurements... I made around 15 wadas (patty sized)

Sabudana / Sago soaked overnight*(water level about 1 centimeter above the sago)
Powdered roasted Peanuts
1 Large Boiled Potato
Salt to taste
Sugar (about 1 1/2 spn.)
1/2 spn. Jeera / Cumin seeds
2-3 finely chopped green chilies ( more or less to your taste)
Chopped cilantro
Oil for deep frying
Yogurt

*soaking the sago overnight ensures that it is completely soft and also not sticky. other option is to soak it for a good 5 + hrs.


Mash the boiled potato. Mix together all the ingredients EXCEPT the yogurt.
Make a homogenous mixture and form medium sized patties.
Heat oil in a kadhai. Deep fry the wadas till golden brown on a Med- High flame, this makes them very crisp. Drain on tissue before serving.
Beat the yogurt lightly, add a couple of pinches of salt and sugar, mix well. sprinkle a pinch of cumin powder on top and serve with sabudana wadas.



I made Mango Smoothie to go with the Wadas.... I had a can of mango pulp handy)

For 1 glass :
1/4 glass Mango pulp (or 1 mango diced if you have the fruit)
Milk
2 spoons PlainYogurt
Sugar (optional)

Blend all the above and serve chilled.





Pin It

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect recipe Mansi. :) Back home I would look forward for days when my mum would be fasting so that I would get to eat the vada's. I wonder why they don't call it feasting rather than fasting ;)

Viji said...

The wadas are in perfect shape Manasi. Very nice. Viji

Lakshmi said...

I love those wadas, so tasty, just wanna have them.

TNL said...

look at those beauties! A perfect snack to gossip over..thanks for the recipe. I will try this over the weekend over a movie...!

Regards,Trupti

Mythreyee said...

thats a wonderful delight. I will try this week. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Manasi,

I tried the vadas last night...they were really superb...crunchy outside, chewy inside and with a dash of hot chillies and onion..it was marvellus...me and my DH loved it a lot. Hope it's routine in our home, hereafter!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Manasi, I hv a doubt. When there is no other ingredient besides Sabudana & potato, will these vadas not turn very oily, i mean, will they not consume a lot of oil while frying?

Should we be adding either rice floor or Vari che tandul?

Manasi said...

Hi Himagauri, u r right, not only will such vadas soak oil but also will turn out sticky/ rubbery! But this is eliminated by adding powdered peanut powder (roasted peanuts). I have never added flour or vari rice.

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape