Wednesday, February 14, 2007

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY HONEY (CAKE) !!

Valentine's Day evokes a lot of sentiments in people... some are for it and some completely against it... for the comercialization that this day has brought in!! For me, I do celebrate this day.. why? Because it gives me just one more reason to show my love for M for all the loving things the does for me. For all the little (and big) things he does.... This is one of the days when he comes home early, despite the tremendous work pressure!

Many will say why does he need one day to show you so much affection? Why not everyday? Why do you need cards or gifts or chocolates to feel loved? Well, I'll be honest.... everyday, we are just busy with routine work, cook (this is fun!), clean dishes, laundry, grocery.... but once in a while breaking away from all that and just feeling special gives my spirits a definite lift! We both do not believe in extravagant gifts, elaborate cards... so we are not a good bait for gift / card companies!!
So.... I do celebrate Valentine's Day! I baked a cake from scratch.. decorated our tiny apartment.. and called him loads of times in the day, just to say those 3 precious words! Ate chocolates he gave me, without a pang of guilt (WOWIE!!)

I made a Honey cake for my Honey!!
This is the original Recipe :
I got this from the internet, but i hunted around a lot, so I don't recollect the name :(

Ingredients:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup strong-brewed coffee
1 tablespoon brandy (optional, I opted out)
2 eggs
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar ( i did not have 1/2 cup b. sugar, so I mixed in normal sugar)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Directions:

Combine honey, coffee and brandy, if desired, in small bowl; mix well. Beat eggs in large bowl. Add oil and brown sugar.

Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices in medium bowl; mix well. Add flour mixture and honey mixture alternately to egg mixture.
Pour batter into greased 9-inch square pan/ muffin pan.

Bake at 300 degrees F oven for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. !I made heart shaped these jumbo muffins, these took just about 20 -22 mins to bake!



Today is also my Mom's Birthday!! And that's another reason why this day is so special to me!!
And though I am far away... I do celebrate her birthday.. with a promise to make up for the absence when I am back in India!!


This one's for you, Mommy!!

Pin It

14 comments:

FH said...

You too sweetheart!:))

Anonymous said...

Honey+Coffee+Spices!!!!! Thats the ultimate combo!!!!!
The look so cute!!!! :)

www.mykhazanaofrecipes.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet. Such cute looking cakes too. lovely!

Lakshmik said...

Wow Manasi. Yummy cake. I guess we could add some walnuts too in the batter. Thanks for the recipe. And yes, probably I will opt out of brandy too :)

TNL said...

Manasi: Loved reading your sentiments...you have a very realistic view.. Cake looks great! Hope you and M had a terrific day...

I was pleasantly surprised when K brought home a nice perfume for me..I wasn't expecting anything!

Take care,
Trupti

Anonymous said...

Manasi,

The honey cake surely speaks out your love to ur DH..!! He shud be lucky man yar!

I have visited ur blog once or twice but never posted I hope...but the cake wanted me to say a big Thank you for it's going to be in my home soon!!

Anonymous said...

Oh No..!!

Just saw that there was one more ingredient...Brandy..!! Any way to replace this or skip this?

Swapna said...

Those heart shaped muffins look too yummy..Why don't u send some here?:-)
Swaps

Seema Bhat said...

I was always on a look out for a honey cake recipe Mansi. Thanx a bunch. I just love the aroma of baked honey. My mouth has already started watering.
-
Seema

Manasi said...

Thanx Asha !!

Hey Coffee, I love this combo too, though initially I was not too sure!!

Thanks Hema!!

I thought of adding nuts Lakshmi, but then opted out because the other flavours were just perfect!

Isn't a surprise the best partTrupti? I was so happy and surprised to see a Teddy holding a box of chocolates peep into the house in the evening!!!

A Yunus, thanx for ur kind words! as for the brandy, it is optional, I did not use it too!!

Swaps, why don't u come here !Wud love to chat with u in person with coffee and muffins!!

Seems, u r so right, the smell of this cake baking is amazing!!

Anonymous said...

LOL @ HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY HONEY (CAKE) !!
Good title!

Sonu said...

i think even i have to bake this delicious cake for my honey!!!!!!

suma said...

Novel combo for me, sounds grt!!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A delicious combination! That cake must be divine.

Cheers,

Rosa

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape