Saturday, May 19, 2007

Q is for........

Quesadillas sprang to my mind when we had to come up with Q.. not exactly Desi, eh? Yes that popped up in my mind too, but the desi touch to it, is using Palak and Rajma in the recipes...
My liking for Mexican cuisine is a new development... firstly, in India I had eaten it in Delhi once, and frankly, I did not like it ....that much... gimme my pizza!!!
Coming in the US of A, the Hubby took me to Baja Fresh, where I had my first taste of Quesadilla... a HUGE disappointment where I was concerned (but I still managed a watery smile for M's sake, he looked like he was really enjoying it), there seemed to be NO taste to what I was eating... several doubts flashed in my mind.....
Was M really enjoying this.... why? how?
Are my taste buds DEAD?
Is there ANY taste to this?
So after the initial 2 bites of the bland, saltless and tasteless quesadilla (to put it across straight and in a desi way... 2 rotis stuck together with cheese..) I got myself loads of spicy salsa and jalapenos from the counter and ate the rest of my share with it... with an incredulous M gaping a me and murmuring ... " you are NO vegetarian... you are a Spicitarian.... don't blame me tomorrow if you have problems, you have been warned".... I shot back saying... " I'm warning you, NOT to bring me to this joint again.. bland food, I've tasted better food in hospitals..".
But now, over a period of time, I really enjoy eating Mexican food (but not in Baja Fresh, I still do not go there) and sometimes point out the common points in their cuisine and ours.. like salsa... not unlike our 'tomato kanda koshimbir' ... tortillas... like rotis.... just with variety... flour, corn...
M just shrugs and asks if I am in a mood to eat roti stuffed with cheese and floating in sauce(enchiladas ... my Fav and only available choice ) and koshimbir... with a knife and fork. I nod gleefully and trot off in that direction!!!
Quesadilla With Spinach and Cheese
2 Med. Tortillas ( I used Flour)
1 serving Spinach (I used frozen chopped Spinach)
1/2 cup Shredded Cheese
1/2 tsp Taco seasoning

For frozen Spinach, Cook as per directions on pack
Warm the tortillas on a skillet
On one tortilla spread the cooked spinach, sprinkle the seasoning
Layer with cheese and sprinkle with a little salt.
Put the other tortilla on top, gently transfer to the skillet once again and lightly toast on both sides
( I toasted the Quesadilla with the cheese side down so that it would melt and 'stick' the tortillas together)
Serve with Guacamole, Salsa ( I used Trader Joe's Roasted Garlic and tomato salsa, it is Medium spicy) and sour cream

Quesadilla Torte

4 lg Flour Tortillas
16 oz Can Black Beans (I used good ol' RAJMA)
1 ½ c Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
1 ½ c Tomato Salsa
1 sm Head Iceberg Lettuce;
½ c Plain Non-Fat Yogurt
Cilantro Leaves

Directions
Preheat the oven to 500øF. Spray a large pie pan with cooking spray. Lay one tortilla in the pan. Rinse black beans under cold running water, then drain. Whirl in the food processor to make a rough puree, adding ¼ cup cheese and 2 tb salsa. Paint ½ of the bean mixture onto the first tortilla. Top with cheese and salsa. Add the next tortilla and repeat. Add the top tortilla. Spray with cooking spray. Bake in the oven until bubbly and brown, about 7-10 minutes. While the torte is baking, divide the lettuce among serving plates. When browned, cut the torte into wedges, place on the serving plates and spoon a dollop of yogurt on top. Garnish with cilantro leaves.
Recipe Source:
http://www.cajuncookingrecipes.com/


Questions I asked myself:

Is this what it is supposed to look like? Have I made a mistake? Is this supposed to look like a pizza? I am still not sure!!! So, if I have goofed on the Torte recipe, do let me know, I will take it off.

This is my entry for Nupur's A-Z of Vegetables and hopefully I have something fully 'Desi' coming up....

Pin It

2 comments:

Jyothi said...

Hi Manasi, yours Quesadillas looks yummy and delicious. Will try soon. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful recipe.

Suganya said...

Hi....Ur quesadilla is lookung great....Nice recipe for A-Z----"Q". I like it very much....

Share

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape